Sunday, February 3, 2013

Real kitchen. Real life.

We live on a wonderful street with friendly neighbors.

The great part about our street is....people feel comfortable enough to stop by at a moment's notice.
The bad part about are street is...people feel comfortable enough to stop by at a moment's notice!

My home is definitely not "company ready" at a moment's notice.  In fact, it usually isn't "company ready" within a few hours notice!

So, basically, when a neighbor rings the doorbell I have two choices: 

       1)  Pretend like we're not home.           OR            2)  Embrace the mess and invite them in.


You see, on any given day my kitchen can look like this:


#1


#2


#3



But, before you call the producers of Hoarders, let me explain each picture and the story behind the mess.

#1- Blue Recycle Bag (from our recent field trip to the landfill).  Mixing bowl and rolling pin (baked homemade pretzels for a neighborhood "teen" party).  Amazon box (ordered two new books and couldn't wait to look at them).  McDonald's cup (Diet Coke/ afternoon energy).

#2- Crockpot (w/ Chicken-n-Dumplings for dinner).  Dirty bowls (from dinner). Diet Coke can and water bottle (waiting to be recycled). Measuring bowl, measuring cup, scissors (more remains of pretzel making).

#3- Plastic cup w/straw (trying to drink more water). Bible (morning devotions and Bible time for homeschooling).  Santa hat (youngest child's torture, I mean, "dress up" for the cat).  iPad (playing "Stack the States" near the homeschool area).  Piles (no reason, just always have a few).

At first glance all you see is a whole lot of "mess", but to me it's the life happening behind the mess that matters.  Each item on the kitchen counter tells a story...  

A field trip to the Recycling Center.  Teens gathered at a neighbor's house, eating homemade pretzels around a bonfire.  A home cooked meal eaten together as a family.  A love of books that my children and I share.  

Let's face it - life is messy, and when you're a busy mom raising kids the daily mess is inevitable!  But, the mess tells a story.  Our story.  A story of fun times.  Family dinners.  Caring for sick kids.  Enjoying the life that God meant for us to live.

Normally, when someone stops by at a moment's notice and the house is a mess, I'll apologize and say "You caught me right in the middle of picking up."

However, from now on I think I'll say, "We've sure had a busy day.  Come on in and I'll tell you all about it!"

><> Kelly


P.S.  Just to ease your mind and show you that our kitchen can be clean, here are a few more pics...




 By the way my hubby said, "Make sure you give me credit for cleaning the kitchen this morning."









  

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I beleive Mark! I feel you pain. My kitchen looks like the first pics right now and many times. This however means I am at all the basketball games, soccer games, flag team competitions and everything in between and that we ate a good meal! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee- Just remember that all the kitchen mess tells your story! BTW, Mark really DID clean up the kitchen. If we lived closer, I'd send him to your house.

      Delete
  2. Great view of real life and not perfection! Good post and way to look at things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I'm very new to blogging and appreciate the positive feedback:-)

    ReplyDelete