Thursday, January 31, 2013

Teens need us as much as toddlers...and sometimes more!

Tonight I went to a Bible study at church, and hubby stayed home with the kids.  Church is only 5 minutes from our house.  The study is one hour.  Total time away from the house- 1 hour and 10 minutes.

30 minutes into the study I received a text from my 16 year old son:  "All homework is done except history, and I'm about to start on that now."

A short, simple text, but it reaffirmed that...

...my teen needs me as much, if not more, than my younger children do.



Though he no longer needs me to tie his shoes, brush his hair, or read him a bedtime story, he needs me for different reasons.  To help with homework.  To fix a late-night snack.  To listen as he tells me about the big catch in his latest fishing tournament...

...but most importantly he needs me to be available and "fully present" when he's ready to reach out.

Teenagers are unique, ever-changing, moody creatures.  Grunts and one-word answers are often the norm.  When my son comes home from school, he's not very talkative.   A couple of "fine"s and "hmmm"s, and that's about it. Then, he's off to his room to "chill" for a while.  However, once he emerges, 30 or so minutes later, he's ready to talk...and I need to be ready to listen.

Author and speaker, Jill Savage, calls it the "Ministry of Availability".  Basically, we need to be ready to listen when our children, especially our teens, are ready to talk.  For me this means putting down the iPad, book, or Bible study, turning off the radio or T.V., telling the little sisters they need to wait,  not answering the phone, checking Facebook, or email...and be "fully present".

My son is 16 and halfway through his Sophomore year of high school.  Assuming he goes away to college, I have exactly 2 1/2 years left with him at home.  Knowing that my time is limited, it is important that I make a conscious, daily choice to be available to him...when he wants to talk, text, give me a one word answer, or even just grunt. 




2 comments:

  1. Nice, Kellyi completely agree with being available. But i notice i haven't been as much lately. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla! It's a daily challenge to be be fully "present". Some days I fail miserably, but I just remind myself to try harder the next day. :-)

      Delete